Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Thruxton 900


As i've said to anyone that will listen to me talk for more than about 10 minutes, I want a Motorcycle. I want a Triumph Motorcycle. I"m about ready to wear my Triumph T-shirt every day, i'm so excited about the prospect. As I've said before, I'll likely get the Speedmaster, but I have to admit i find myself nostalgic for the Bonneville too. there's a history there. Brando in "The Wild One"? On a Triumph. McQueen jumping the fence in "The Great Escape"? That's a Triumph. Pull out that copy of "Highway 61 Revisited" you have. Now, what's that shirt Dylan's wearing? Triumph.

Well, I ran across one of these the other day. it's called the Thruxton 900. Its named after the Racetrack/Race where Triumph once won the top 3 spots in the 60s. It's made as a modern day "cafe racer". Back in the 60s there was an underground rivalry between the Mods and the Rockers. the cafe racers were Rockers, or Ton-Up Boys (nick named for people that would dare top 100mph around some seriously curvey roads around London). these were bikes that were modified to go fast. the foot pegs were pushed back and the handlebars were clamped directly onto the forks. these were the euro precursor to the "Crotch Rockets" that La Federala wants. If I ever get one of those types of bikes, and it is tempting, I'll have to lay my hands on the the British bike, the Triumph. I'm not sure if i'm ready to make this bike be my first motorcycle, but DAMN that thing is beautiful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Polly: The Triumph Bonneville is named after the Utah Bonneville salt flats. Thruxton is the name of a race track in England. If you want to see a really cool cafe racer, check out a Velocette Thruxton.
j

Polly said...

you are absolutely right! i got it mixed up! thanks for the correction!