Saturday, June 05, 2004

Stephanie Herseth

She's the new Congresswoman from South Dakota. she won this week by 2 points. 51 to 49. I've grown a little tired of reading complaints about how she's not a very good democrat since she does not tote the liberal line on every issue. Most of the comments i've seen, and there are thankfully few, pick on certain pet issues the writer supports. All this is fine in private thought, but i just want to say to some of these folks, "LOOK at what you're talking about". This single, white woman in her early 30s won a statewide election in a Rural Conservative state. do you think she'd have done better to make herself more liberal? she won by 2 points. Some Democrats (like some republicans) act as if you have to take some issue-loyalty test to be as "REAL" a democrat as they are. I have to wonder what political world they live in. I understand the idea of wanting politicians that believe as you do, but that does not mean political realities get tossed out the window.

this is a tangent off something else that has frustrated me lately. I have dealt with some Democratic Party people and seen a few in action for Kerry, and i am beginning to wonder if they know how to run a national campaign. one that is waged in all 50 states. i keep seeing some transplant of what(ever) a partisan race looks like in New England. This thing doesn't go by those rules when you leave New England. When you leave DC. I feel like we are trying to have a Cape Cod fencing match in a Detroit streetfight. I feel like the President's people are all ready for a nasty fist fight and the Kerry folks are still trying to figure out what to do next. The tone is feeding almost entirely off of peoples strong feelings about bush.

There have been campaigns that are about "anybody but THIS guy in office" ...but without a lightening rod to catch and direct that power, it just dissipates and is wasted. This campaign feels like an angrier version of Dole '96...and the Democrats aren't even THAT good at sticking together (see above).

I keep telling myself that it is still early. I know that there was politicing going on before hand, but Gore didn't do his official announcement until June 2000 (i was there). Kerry has been in 3 campaigns, and they were all in Mass. It shows. he needs to go meet some black folks. he needs to go to the latino community. He also needs to keep up the good work on the fundraising.

He's had a gift in that Bush has had hardly a good news week this year. none-the-less, when there is an attempt to swipe him it works. Team Bush hit him about his VALOR medals and it seemed like it derailed him. not only was that a GREAT opportunity to throw the issue back at the president, citing his (and cheney's) own pathetic record, but it was a no-brainer. instead there was a stumbling response that seemed so inept that it caused you to question Kerry. Gorj mentioned that HE talked about it again today. GOOD GOD! why would you intertain the question. Bush got around his coke snorting days so easily, and Kerry can't seem to quit fumbling this. its like having Chevy Chase/Pres. Ford doing your PR!

ugh. Oh, let it be known...i'm about to start recruiting MS campaign workers and managers for Mississippi Democratic candidates. if you have questions or suggestions, let me know.

2 comments:

Polly said...

"I don't know why Kerry's people can't manage this."

I do. I believe they are a mix of Gore '00 people, New England Democrats, and DC Party folks. I couldn't dream up a worst group to run a national campaign. New Englanders deal with race like i deal with Blizzards. we don't. they pay lip service but there's just not that sort of mobilized politico-ethnic diversity to their campaign insight.

I am the last one to make light of the political skill or intrigue that exists in Mass., Boston, etc. HOWEVER, this is just not always analgous to the rest of the country. you think Kerry worked black churches every week until election day? of course not.

The frustration is that it IS so easy. want me to tell you how you do it.

Staci said...

Wow! Mr. Pollan...

I'm equally tired of people questioning her loyatly as a democrat...when she is a democrat in the most traditional fashion. In a state where the biggest drama is between ranchers and farmers, she's got an A rating from the NRA...yet, over a thousand volunteers went to South Dakota last weekend to walk precincts and farms and small towns for her (some of us with pulled hamstrings!)...There people from Charlie Rangel's office and people who unenthusiastic quasi-supporters of Kerry...ALL WALKS OF LIFE DEMS were in South Dakota for Stephanie...if that same unity could be harnessed for the duration of the cycle, perhaps less would be written about how she is a bad democrat, and more would be written about how the democratic party is the all inclusive party that does not have use 2 or 3 divisive issues that dictates a standing of "good democrat". btw- of those thousand volunteers, 800 or so were from Washington, DC...but I learned a valuable lesson...once I landed in South Dakota...i was just a good ole country girl from the south who wanted to come work for STephanie...not once did I hear anyone mention being from DC or any involvement other than "I came all this way to make sure Stephanie wins!". Maybe I'm just better suited to assimilating in to a battleground environment...but I felt guilty all the way to South Dakota...but the second we landed, and Herseth supporters met us at the airport, I knew that they needed foot soldiers, and it didnt' matter where i was from...it wasn't like I was going to be quizzed everytime I knocked on a door...I talked to countless little ole ladies and old men who were thrilled to meet someone from Mississippi and who offered me ice water, or cookies, or wanted me to tell them what I thougth of the tornadoes the day before... Polllan...don't plan anything without me...I have a phone interview today with the North Carolina Democratic Party! I'm ready to give up my posh, though EXTREMELY DIFFICULT, desk job for the cycle...