Monday, June 07, 2004

Reagan Died

I'm not one of those people that take pride in bad-mouthing Reagan. I can name several things that impress me about the President. I can rattle off a few things that aren't so good. This being said, it has always amazed me the utter worship that Republicans give this man. Again, I'm not trying to argue he's not 'worth' it. it is just the extent to which they have this Rea-gasm over the guy (I stole the word). In some ways it's shameful the way they have been trying to honor him as if he were dead for the last few years. Often Nancy has had to fend off/decline the 'honors' others have tried to bestow upon her (then) still living husband.

I have actually felt sorry for her on a few occasions when reading stories about 'fans/supporters' that are so zealous about their cannonization of Reagan, they'd forget he was still alive and ignore how pretending he was dead might effect his wife. it always seemed so bizarre to me.

Well, he's gone, and there is officially nothing left going on in the world, just so you know. www.drudgereport.com Is going now, 72 hours straight, with ONLY Reagan related content. When I started typing, I was going to pose this post to ask "WHY?"...Now I think I know.

In the last century, the GOP have not had a lot to crow about. Prior to Reagan (I'm going to be generous here), the last notable GOP president was Ike. That was 50 years ago, and even then was more noteworthy as a General than as a President. Prior to that, who do you have? Hoover? Surely not. You basically have to go back to Teddy Roosevelt. That's 100 years ago and upon inspection, he seems more like a modern democrat than a modern republican.

Reagan lets them have 2 things.

1. He lets them fulfill their own ideas about Policy (memory works better here than actual practice).
2. He gives them someone to be proud of.

I can't begrudge them that. 100 years is an awfully long time to wait.

1 comment:

Staci said...

If I ever become an actor, governor, and President of the United States...and the author of beautiful love letters to someone who makes my life near perfect...oh, and I live to be 93 ...PLEASE DO NOT DECLARE A FEDERAL HOLIDAY OF MOURNING....

Get a disco ball...put the goofiest pics of me you can find on a postage stamp...and f*cking HAVE A PARTY...

I respect that he passed away, but the capitol is on lockdown with security...If anything, we should be celebrating his life as an American leader, icon, historical figure...not perpetuating a state of mourning by camping out for photos of his grieving familiy members...