Monday, January 02, 2006

Salon.com | "He was a funny motherf---er"

I know its been over 20 days, but i gotta say something about the passing of Richard Pryor. i remember being a kid listening to him in the dark with friends while the parents were asleep. His records were prized and they were CONTRABAND! back in the old days, comedians made a great deal of their money by selling "Party Records" (you have a party, put on the record, everyone laughs). This is where i learned about richard pryor, the Red Foxx (beyond Sanford and Son), and Dolemite.

I can remember laughing as hard as I can remember listing to the Eulogy on "Is It Something I Said?" or maybe Rumpelstiltskin.

His book PRYOR CONVICTIONS & OTHER LIFE SENTENCES was a remarkable insight on his life. I remember being astounded at what life must have been like for him as a child who's mother was a prostitute and who kept him there AT THE BROTHEL as a child. I recommend that book to anyone with even a passing interest in Richard Pryor. Sadly, he was afflicted with MS. it ravaged his body. about a week before he died there was a special about him on Cable. it consisted of scores of commedians talking about Richard's influence. it was titled "Richard Pryor: I Ain't Dead Yet, #*%$#@!!".

He died the following week.

No comments: