Sunday, January 22, 2006

Ready to Rock


I never had aspirations to be a rock star. i never wanted a guitar when i was younger. I DID have a drum kit when i was 6, and i got a steel drum a year later (MAN i've always loved that sound). That lasted for a couple years and faded away. I had a roommate that played the drums. i had another roommate that played guitar. it slowly startd to slip into my head, but it didn't really hit me until i got in law school. Danelectro had just relaunched itself with a cool set of retro guitars, amps, and gear.

I was fixated on getting a bass, and it was gonna be a danelectro. I got the Long Horn and LOVED it. It was aqua, retro and felt good in my hands. I quickly learned that playing was harder than it seemed, but somehow learned to play a few songs by ear. Why the hell this happened, i'll never know, but the 2 songs i learned? Just Like Heaven - The Cure & Honkeytonk Heroes - Waylon Jennings. I loved that thing but sacrificed it to the gods (to pay rent).

Now i've got the bug again. God knows it'll likely be about 50 years before I actually have one, but i'm just fiending for a guitar. my head's been wrapped around another Danelectro U2, which makes me think of that early rock sound and the tone of so many beloved SURF Rock tunes. It also helps that its cheap. the other one is the Wildkat. an archtop that screams ROCKABILLY! I think whichever i can find cheap on ebay or at a pawn shop will be what i end up getting..i can't wait to play again.

No comments: