Monday, August 16, 2004

R.I.P.

Elvis died 27 years ago today. In Memphis, this is what is called Elvis Week. i went 4 years ago. See, i go to memphis a lot but had never been in graceland. i found it all profoundly moving. i felt completely blindsided by how it effected me. i'm a fan but i'm not a crazy fan.

As I walked around the grounds, it really hit me very hard about the 'meaning of elvis' to so many people...the music, fans, parents, people...some who actually have no idea of the influence.

When i came outside to the last leg of the tour, i came across the graves. you see, his family is buried there. i walked along and by the time i got to his mom i was just sobbing. i didn't fully understand it. i was just overwhelmed.

i never actually saw his grave. i was sobbing too hard to look at it. i just felt like the breath had been knocked out of me.

God bless the King. God save Rock N Roll!

No comments: