Wednesday, August 18, 2004

It was 2 days and 27 years after Elvis died

My Dad died today. He was driving with my step-mother down the highway near Sebastopol, MS when he reached for something and went off onto the shoulder of the road. Evidently the shoulder had an extremely steep drop and he had to cruise along to find a spot to get back onto the road. At this point, they came upon a fence post that stood along the road. They could not properly avoid it. They knew it was going to be a bad impact. My Step-mother was not wearing a seatbelt so at the point of impact my father threw his body in front of her to absorb the impact. I believe he really loved her and I believe he saved her life. She has a badly hurt shoulder but should be ok. we are waiting to see if surgery will be required.

My father told the people that came to his aid that he didn’t need an ambulance. He then he took a deep breath and was gone. My father was a difficult man for a lot of people. He never showed me the rough side of his temperament the way he would with others. I sometimes thought it was unfair as I saw it happen. A couple of years ago a movie came out called The Royal Tenenbaums. It always choked me up because the father in that movie was like my dad. There is an exchange in the movie that always reminded me of him:

Royal: I've always been considered an asshole for about as long as I can remember. That's just my style. But I'd really feel blue if I didn't think you were going to forgive me.
Henry Sherman: I don't think you're an asshole, Royal. I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch
Royal: Well, I really appreciate that.

Like Royal, I believe he knew his faults and I believe he wanted to amend them for the most part. He was always just himself at the same time. He was difficult (in some way) for most of his loved ones, except for me. Despite this, he was the one that taught me to be a social person. Any ounce of charm or charisma I ever had came from him. You know, despite his faults...most people that knew him just loved the hell out of him.

I did too.

You know, after going to my grandmother’s funeral last year I decided not to ever let a preacher do a eulogy for an immediate family member of mine ever again. I didn’t expect to be coming up with a speech so soon.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. Let us know if you or your family needs anything at all. Roy.

Big Gray said...

Shit, man. Our sympathies are with you. If you need anything, we're here...

Anonymous said...

My condolences on your family's loss.

-bulb

Robert said...

My thoughts, prayers and love are with you.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Anonymous said...

wow. i've never even met your dad, but my eyes are watering up. needless to say, i'm thinking about you.

-wes

Anonymous said...

i'm damned sorry to hear this, jp!. my thoughts are with you guys.

-carl

Staci said...

I love you...Rickey called to tell me, but I never though you would post so soon...I'm so sorry sweet jase....my thoughts are always with you, but especially now...I can't get in to your voicemail! I will try tomorrow...Hang in there! Hugs!
~staci

Anonymous said...

jason,
i'm really sorry. i'm sending good thoughts.
love,
kc

Anonymous said...

Jason,
So sorry to hear about your dad. Part of living is dieing, you know. Be thankful you had your dad around for as long as you did. Mine died when I was 8.
Much love to you & yours. Y'all are in my thoughts.
peace, Shawna Murrell

Anonymous said...

Jason,
So sorry to hear about your dad. Part of living is dieing, you know. Be thankful you had your dad around for as long as you did. Mine died when I was 8.
Much love to you & yours. Y'all are in my thoughts.
peace, Shawna Murrell

Anonymous said...

jp!, I was so sorry to hear about this. Know that everyone is thinking about you and sending love your way.

--Oculass

Anonymous said...

Jason, Let me know if I can do anything. Few people have a last moment as noble as your father's. I know that you will miss him, but now he won't suffer anymore. You, your stepmother, and the rest of your family will be in my prayers . . .and I do think you'd do a better job than any preacher. Love, Crystal

Anonymous said...

Jason,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this time. Please let me know if there is anything I can do!

Michael Bounds

Anonymous said...

Keep The Faith, my friend.

J. D. B., II, III

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!