Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Quick Notes - GOOD LORD!

I'm working along today, listening to the (usually) bizzare stream of consciousness playlist that is on my computer and i got to thinking about singing in the car. You know, most people do it and i'm no different. However, there are a couple of songs that i'm incapable of singing. I simply have to BELT the damn things out. the two most common crimes against music i sing:

El Paso by Marty Robbins. I have no idea why I like Marty Robbins so much or why I like this song, but i remember it from my childhood. even more bizarre is the fact that i learned Marty Robbins songs in 5-10 second bursts. See, as a child i saw the 'Marty Robbins Greatest Hits' commercial so many times on TV, I learned his music by the sample clips they'd play on the commercial. I could sing the lyrics of his songs--only as snipits--as they appeared on the commercial (and in order) over a decade and a half later.

None the less, for some ungodly reason, if i ever hear the 'cowboy ballad' El Paso on the radio, I can't help but to belt it out at the top of my lungs. On the same note, if not the same vein, I feel similarly compelled when i hear Blacksploitation movie theme-song "Across 11oth St." by Bobby Womack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"El Paso" is a great, great song, though I'm embarassed to say that I learned it from a Michael Martin Murphy tape I had...