Wednesday, July 20, 2005

My First Comic Books--Some of my favorite Comic Book covers

Here are a few of the first comics i ever owned. these are the ones bought in multi-packs at the Stuckey's on the way to Grandma's house.




I'd read these comics over and over. i'd study the ads (today, one of my favorite things about an old comic are the ads). Oddly, i'd sometimes view the common artist's interpretation of a character as the definitive, according to Hoyle version. The Superboy and the Legion comic here was a "Treasury Edition" style, meaning it was super thick and super huge. maybe 18" tall. I loved those things and I was always baffled as to how to get one. they'd been bought for me and i never ever saw one in a store until i was an adult. Note Cosmic Boy's costume in the bottom left corner of the cover. Clearly the 'Gay-est' costume of all time. Mike Grell claims he STILL catches hell over this thing to this day. He should. it's awful! My question is: did this costume predate the Rocky Horror Picture Show?

My mother likes to tell the story where she once made a superman cape for me which i promptly rejected. Superman capes, as anyone knows connect into the shoulder/collar area of the shirt and are NOT fastened by safety pens around one's neck. Also, His cape falls roughly at the knee. NOT well below the knee. (See the gospel truth reference Image used by a 5 year old Polly below) alterations were made and my cape was perfect. i loved her for making that cape for me. it even had the correctly stitched "S", done by hand to perfection on the back! damn awesome mom.

8 comments:

Jas N Smith said...

I think I've seen more than a dozen versions of the Superman bustin the chains cover and I love it everytime. Of course, the Curt Swan will always be my favorite, but favorite comics TOTALLY depend on which version you saw when. I will always have a soft spot for Alex Toth's Superfriends...they were the definitive version of superheroes for me.


And, without a doubt, Cosmic Boy had the lamest, most homo-erotic, bustier costume ever placed on a male hero. I mean, short of Emma Frost or Dagger, I can't think of many costumes designed in such a cleavage-focused way.

Jas N Smith said...

...maybe Powergirl.

http://melbotis.blogspot.com/JASthanksgiving.jpg

Um, I think Superman looks a little distracted.

gorjus said...

HA!

For someone whose first comic fast a LOSH, why you hate, jp!? WHY YOU HATE SO MUCH?

Capes? Are rad. She was v. cool for that.

Polly said...

haw! you get the thing to type that for you gorj?

Polly said...

OK, look at that LOSH. does superboy not look pretty superman-ish? this baffled me as a child. all the teenagers in these comics were about 10 yrs removed from being teens.

Jas N Smith said...

Yeah, I think that Mike Grell or whoever did that one was having some trouble drawing "teens" so he just drew adults and said they were kids. They look about 25 to me. I like the Curt Swan 14 or 15 year-old looking LOSH.

Polly said...

i was looking at some old 40's/50's Superboy/Adventure Comics covers from the 40s/50s, and it's amazing. he wasn't a teenager, he was like 11 or 12.

Yeah, there weren't any teens in that Grell era LSH stuff.

Another thing worth mentioning, i had a REAL disconnect as a small child with the idea that whatever happened on the cover HAD to happen in the comic. I simply didn't understand WHY anyone would do otherwise, and was actually dismayed if the art of the cover wasn't VERY similarly reproduced in the interior. god knows why, but I better be glad i didn't grow up with those insane-o World's Finest covers. Jesus...I'd have been a basket case.

Polly said...

You know, that Superman image, the one from that cover, along w/ a few other Neal Adams images were the pics of superman on my curtains in kindergarden. i think looking at them every night in that 1977-1981 era had to have an effect on my digging the Neal Adams Superman so much.