Tuesday, July 20, 2004

I Lost a Trial Today

I went to court for a full trial for the first time in nearly a year. In this last year, I've been to court on different matters, but not a full trial.

It was a criminal matter where i was working for a friend. I feel so bad that i let him down. I did my best arguments, i was right on the law, tracing my arguments support back for half a century. I was pretty hard on the prosecutor, catching his mistakes and stopping the sloppy delivery that he likely can get away with on most days as the defendants don't have attorneys. The judge pulled me aside to compliment me on how well i did today. none the less, we loss. it was clearly close. it seemed to come down to a little statement by one witness (ours) that tilted the scale. i was told by the prosecutor that if we went to trial he'd seek the stiffest punishment he could get, including jail-time.

We got the lightest penalty they could apply.

We may still appeal. it's up to the client. I just feel disappointed. I'm disappointed because i know my case was better. i know that the law agrees with my side...i just didn't win. i know it is not my fault, but i can't help but feel troubled, like i let my friend down. i know he doesn't feel that way.

The work i do...most all of it...is built on these extreme highs and desperate lows. trials. elections. there is no middle. they always seem to take everything out of you and return all the glory or a kick in the gut.

I do not know any other way.

Today was not as dramatic as others...but its something you can taste. today it was bitter.

2 comments:

Big Gray said...

Whoa. Traumatic stuff. I'm glad I'm not a lawyer when I read about stuff like this. At least you still care about your clients. That's important.

Polly said...

looks like we'll appeal. live again to fight another day.

as for what you say, i NEVER handle criminal suits and it is even stranger to do this for a friend. i did as well as i could and i did a better job than the other guy. that is as good as anyone can hope for.