Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Paying the Cost to be the Boss...

I had a great weekend.

With the wife out of town on her job, i decided to go visit my family in The Mississippi Delta and then ease on up to one of my favorite places--MEMPHIS. I'd planned to see the Stax Museum, but McLemore Ave. is having some MAJOR construction done, so i couldn't physically get to it. a Disappointment.

Before i left Jackson, i had my FILTHY car washed to a red that looked like wet nail polish it was so pretty. I hit the road beaming, dead set on having a good time. when i got into memphis, i had an experience that bordered on the surreal. I often head up 3rd Street which leads to the Stax Records Museum and studio. not supprisingly, if you leave the "crossroads" around my home town of Clarksdale and travel on HWY 61, it turns into 3rd Street and runs right into the heart of Memphis Soul Music at Stax (both literally, figuratively, and metaphysically). Its not a great part of town, but its not as bad as others. foolish or not i've never really been uncomfortable in the 'bad' parts of town. the first chance i get, i put down the top and drive into memphis.

I love the city. i like the way it looks, even the worst parts. i like the people. i just like it. I'm cruising up 3rd and i'm playing some James Brown:

Paying the Cost to be the Boss
I'm paying the cost, to be the BOSS....


as i pass through intersections, something is happening. Some people are noticing me. I seem to be sticking out. Some of it is obvious. I'm the only one in a bright red car. i'm the only white face. i'm the only one playing JB loud enough to be heard on the sidewalk. I'm the only one who's tag reads "DEMCRAT". For various reasons, i'm drawing attention, and you know what? its all good. people are smiling and waving at me from the sidewalk. people in cars are rolling down their windows to wave at me and say "hi!"

Then there's the capper. I'm at a red light, just before i get to Stax. A mustang pulls up beside me. the driver looks over at me. he nods. i smile and nod back. James Brown is still singing:

Look at me.
Know what you see?
You see a BAD mother!


At this point, the guy's buddy makes him open the door. the guy gets out of the Mustang and comes to me for the sole purpose of reaching over to slap me five.

Jesus. I felt so cool i was getting self-conscious about it. a damn fine day.

Look at me.
Know what you see?
You see a BAD mother!

No comments: