Saturday, August 23, 2003

Fox LOSES Lawsuit to Stop Sale of Al Franken's Book

Actually, they lost the injuction request. My favorite quote from the judges ruling: "There are hard cases and there are easy cases. This is an easy case," said U.S. District Judge Denny Chin. "This case is wholly without merit both factually and legally."

I talked about this before. the suit was vendictive, self-congratulatory, and pathetic. It read like one extended whine session. Again, i have to put out the question to those attorneys working on the case for FoxNews. Clearly you know the law and I assume that you knew the case was weak to say the least. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt there. Ok, so my question: Did you feel bad when you were forced to make a legal argument that first year law students knew couldn't fly? Does the money make it better? I mean, I have to wonder--attorney to attorney--did you not feel cheapened to push a suit where you know DECADES of caselaw shows you have no basis for the suit? If not, I have to ask was/is there a point where the paycheck salves that fractured dignity.

As a plaintiff's attorney, i do not take cases that i do not find to have merit AND i believe i can win. I don't get paid unless I win, so I never have to worry about my client paying me to make up some frivilous lawsuit. I can't afford it. I wonder what its like to be paid to do something you KNOW is worthless from the start? intriguing.

No comments: