Tuesday, February 15, 2005

The Quotable Martini


I've been thinking about a re-do of the blog here. maybe even a name change. Mr. Mooch suggested the title above. you may see that around here soon enough...

Until then, I'll leave you with a few quotes:

**"The Sandwiches came and I ate three and drank a couple more martinis. I had never tasted anything so cool and clean. They made me feel civilized."
--Ernest Hemingway, A FAREWELL TO ARMS (1929).
--------------------------------
**"We shall drink to our partnership. Do you like gin? Its my only weakness"
--Dr. Pretorius in THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1935).
--------------------------------
**"I lived near the main street of the quarter which is named Royal. Down this street, running on the same tracks, are two streetcars, one named Desire and the other named Cemetery. The indiscorageable progress up and down Royal struck me as having some symbolic bearing of a broad nature on life in the Vieux Carre--and everywhere else, for that matter."
--Tennessee Williams (1940).
-------------------------------
**Nora: Now how many drinks have you had?
Nick: This will make six Martinis.
Nora (to waiter): All right. Will you bring me five more martinis? line them right up here.
--Myrnal Loy & William Powell in (The BEST damn movie of all time) THE THIN MAN (1934).
-------------------------------
**"I should have never switched from scotch to martinis."
--Humphrey Bogart's last words.
------------------------------
**SALES MANAGER
intangible experience, must be able to move effectively at top management level and unerstand "Big Business" problems. Should be able to handle twelve martinis
--Want Ad(!), NEW YORK TIMES (1956).
------------------------------
**"The Affliction that is cutting down the productive time in the office and destroying the benign temper of most of the bartenders is the thing called the very dry martini. It is a mass madness, a cult, a frenxy, a body of folklore, a mystique, an expertise of a sort that may well earn for this decade the Glazed Fifties...Along every stretch of polished mahogany in public places in countless living rooms, there is no talk of the world crisis...only of how to get a martini really dry."
--C.B. Palmer in the NEW YORK TIMES (1952).
------------------------------
Here, here my boy. here, here! Posted by Hello

1 comment:

G. E. Light said...

On the porch, which is more of a room, of a Main Line mansion, a man faces down his erstwhile love interest:

DEXTER:
She is generous to a fault--that is, except to other people's faults. For instance, she never had the slightest sympathy toward nor understanding of what used to be known as my deep and gorgeous thirst.
TRACY:
That was your problem!
DEXTER:
It wasa the problem of a young man in exceptionally high spirit, who drank to slow down that damned engine he'd found nothing yet to with--I refer to my mind . . . .
And when I gradually discovered that my relation to her was expected to be not that of a loving husband and a good companion, but--O--never mind--
TRACY:
Say it!
DEXTER:
--But that kind of a high priest to a virgin goddess, then my drinks grew more frequent and deeper in hue that's all.
TRACY
I never considered you as that, nor myself!
DEXTER:
You did without knowing it.And the night that you got drunk on champagne, and climbed out on the roof and stood there naked, with your arms out to the moon, wailing like a banshee--
TRACY:
I told you I never ahd the slightest recollection of doing any such thing.
DEXTER:
I know; you drew a blank. You wanted to.

Phillip Barry, The Philadelphia Story (1939, 80-1)