Monday, December 06, 2004

From the Horse's Mouth...and the Horse isn't Happy.

WASHINGTON, Dec. 6 - A classified cable sent by the Central Intelligence Agency's station chief in Baghdad has warned that the situation in Iraq is deteriorating and may not rebound any time soon, according to government officials.

The cable, sent late last month as the officer ended a yearlong tour, presented a bleak assessment on matters of politics, economics and security, the officials said. They said its basic conclusions had been echoed in briefings presented by a senior C.I.A. official who recently visited Iraq.
Well, it seems our post-invasion plan and its re-tooling has come into some snags. You know, I'm more worried about a draft and a terrorist attack on the united states than i have ever been in my life, including just after 9/11. We are not heading in the right direction. This is all coming after our important victories in Falluja, showing just how complicated 'winning' is over there.

I am becoming convinced that we cannot do a proper job over there without more troops, and that means a draft. I believe this administration would rather not do the job right than to re-instate a draft. Sadly, I'm not sure that's a better plan. I believe the president has thrown away most of the good decisions we have left to select.

No comments: