Thursday, October 09, 2003

THE CLARK CAMPAIGN

I've been reading (somewhat) the news about the campaign 'shake up'. before i get into the substance of what's going on, i have to say that what i read sounds like people with hurt feelings. some are folks that feel like the were in on the ground floor in getting him to run and now feel left out. While I empathize, just because you got someone IN the game, doesn't mean you get to be coach.

What I don’t know:
I don’t know the pedigree of his staff. I don’t know all the REAL issues that people are arguing about, but this all isn’t uncommon. For him it’s just very public and he needs to put it behind him now. Basically, the music stops and there’s not enough chairs to go around. The kid left out doesn’t like it. I get it, but i have to question what is being done now? What is so radically wrong as of NOW that has derailed clark’s campaign? I mean the man got $3.5 million in his first 2 weeks.

I’m not saying he can do no wrong from here. There are MANY ways to screw up from here. He MAY be heading for trouble, but I’m not quite ready to say the sky is falling.

What I do know:
He’s not going to be Howard Dean. I’m sorry, he’s not. Things ARE changing, but you just can’t expect him to go online in the same way dean has. I think that dean’s message style has helped bring pissed off people together. That is not the Clark campaign theme. No campaign has looked like deans. His style maybe the future of politics, but i think its crazy to think all successful campaigns NOW have to follow this model. This model is not actually a PROVEN model. There is some success now, but he’s not won yet. Who’s to know that this IS the way? I think its crazy to demand that all candidates do their campaigns like dean’s (now).

You can’t deny the future, but some of this rift in the campaign seems to be between the old and the new style advocates. To expect a guy that’s been in this thing for 2 weeks to develop his program and campaign AND break into this new ground at the same time is maybe a bit much...and maybe if someone doesn’t get their way, then they’re a bit crushed.

To this day, we have people trying to decide whether to hold Clinton-people at arms length. Ahh... a topic for another time. I think Big Grey wants to get in on that one a bit.


No comments: