Tuesday, January 02, 2007

You've Got Tricks You Ain't Never Used...

I think the first time i ever heard 'Wrap It Up" was in the mid 80s when THE FABULOUS THUNDERBIRDS covered the tune. It was a great song and i had no idea it was a cover of the SAM & DAVE classic from Stax. about 10 or 15 years later I heard Sam & Dave do it and it just gets better. I'm somewhat taken aback by the groove and the tone of the song. It's boastful, but really not in the bragging way you'd expect. Instead of a plea for attention or a demand that a boast be recognized, it goes another direction. It seems to say WE are so good that we belong together. As if to say "As good as I am and as good as you KNOW you are, what are we even TALKING about here. We should be together (baby)".

One of my favorite soul songs. let me know if you don't have it.

No comments: