Sunday, December 10, 2006

Cultural Learnings of Make Benefit of Gore Vidal

Over the last few months, I've been thinking about some of the major writers of the 20th century. Particularly those who's work comes after World War 2 and those who's work I have not read. The 3 that have stuck out in my mind, and whom i've been reading for the last few years are: Hunter S. Thompson, Tom Wolfe, and Gore Vidal. i've read nothing but very sort pieces by Gore Vidal. I thought about picking up his new Memoir "Point to Point Navigation" (taken from the sort of navigations ships would use when they could see no moon, stars, (and on some days) no sun. I thought a good place to start would be the trusty used/rare book store in my neighborhood, Choctaw Books. They never seem to disappoint. Not only did i get his novel "Empire" for $4 bucks, but they also sold me a SIGNED copy of the NEW book for me at 20% below cover price! He even offered to investigate on just HOW hard it would be to find probably just about the best gift you could give me: a signed hardcover of Mr. Vladimir Orland Key's historical milestone. whoa! The only bad day to go to Choctaw Books would be a day on which it's closed.

On another, slightly local note, I saw the Borat movie last night. I don't know how many of you saw this film, but it is pretty funny. It follows Borat from NYC. through DC, into the South, and on to California. Surprisingly a LOT of it takes place in Mississippi. while parts are actually IN mississippi, a LOT of the footage is taken from Mississippi (and often Jackson, MS) locations. Sometimes this might just be an outdoor shot in a parking lot where the location is irrelevant to the scene, but keen eyes will note the locale! I'd go so far as to say 1/4 or more of the footage you see is in Mississippi.

No comments: